Support for Carers Program
The Support for Carers Program provides person centered care and support services to unpaid carers of people with care needs. Carers may be providing unpaid care to a family member or friend who is frail aged, has dementia (including those with younger onset dementia), a disability, mental illness or complex health needs.
Often people do not use the word ‘carer’ to describe themselves or what they do for a person. However looking after another person can be exhausting, even if they are your husband, son, niece, neighbour of friend.
Support provided via the Support for Carers Program includes information, referral and flexible respite options to meet the needs of unpaid carers. Examples of supports may include:
- Information, education, advice, emotional support and advocacy
- In home or out of home respite
- Short term provision of meals, home care or personal care
- Information regarding service availability and specific health, ageing or disability issues
- Information and linkages with local support groups
- Coordination of referrals to other services within the community
- Financial counselling.
For further information, or to speak to our Carer Support Team phone 58 237081.
This program is funded by the Victorian State Government Department of Health and Human Services.