Carer Gateway is an Australian Government initiative that delivers new, improved and expanded services to carers across Australia. FamilyCare has partnered with seven health and social support providers, led by Merri Health, to deliver Carer Gateway services across Victoria.
What support is available?
- Counselling – if you are feeling stressed, anxious, sad or frustrated, a counsellor can talk with you either in person or over the phone in the comfort of your own home.
- Connect with other carers – you might like to meet with people like you who care for someone and share stories, knowledge and experience. You can do this with people in your area or you can join the carer forum online.
- Respite Care – if you get sick or hurt and you cannot look after someone, emergency respite services can help you. Service providers will find ways to look after the person you care for while you have a break. Planned respite care can also help you plan for regular breaks to rest and recharge.
If you need emergency respite call 1800 422 737 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Self-guided coaching – you can work through interactive online coaching sessions at your own pace. You can find a range of topics to help you in your caring role.
- Skills courses – you can use these short online courses to help you to learn new skills in caring for someone and yourself.
- Practical help and advice or information about financial support on the Carer Gateway webpages.
To access and discuss Carer Gateway options:
- Call Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737, Monday to Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm.
- For an interpreter, call Telephone Interpreter Service on 131 450 to arrange a call to speak with us.
To find out more:
- Visit the Carer Gateway website: www.carergateway.gov.au